When it comes to talking to your primary care provider, no question is too small, too uncomfortable, or too weird. Trust us, we’ve heard it all — if something is on your mind, we want to discuss it with you.
The best way to get the answers you need is to make an appointment for a physical exam with your primary care provider, actually going to the exam (don’t blow it off, you can do this), and having a transparent conversation with your physician about what’s going on.
It’s never too late to start a conversation with your primary care provider. Even if it’s been a minute since you’ve had an appointment or you’re taking steps to establish care through a new clinic, having someone in your corner who you feel comfortable with is key.
Take advantage of your appointment by asking all the questions you need to ask in order to leave the room truly feeling seen, heard, and understood.
8 Questions You Should Never Be Afraid to Ask Your Doctor:
- Based on my age and current lifestyle, what habits and changes should I make to take care of myself better? Go ahead and take the initiative. Healthcare professionals love when patients are proactive.
- What preventive care strategies should I start doing now to protect my health later? Preventive care has the power to save your life. From breast cancer screenings to vaccinations, your provider will guide you to services and screenings based on your age, gender, and current health concerns.
- Can I get a copy of my records? The answer here should always be yes. In fact, Carbon Health makes it easier than ever for you to access your records. Just download the app and you’ll have immediate access to test results and other important files right at your fingertips.
- Can we talk about my family medical history and how it might affect me? In some cases, genetics can put you at risk for certain diseases. Be transparent about this information with your doctor. It could save your life.
- Why are you prescribing this medication? Can we discuss my current medications and decide if any changes need to be made? You should always have a clear understanding of what is going into your body and why. If you don’t understand what your provider is saying, ask them to describe it in a way you can understand.
- Should I be concerned about my blood pressure, and if so, what should I do about it? High blood pressure can sneak up on even the healthiest individuals. The good news: Even minor lifestyle changes can make a big impact on these numbers.
- Should I be concerned about [insert what, if anything, does not feel normal]? If something doesn’t feel normal, go ahead and ask your doctor (don’t settle for an internet diagnosis). They can address your concerns in person, consider your overall well-being, and provide you with peace of mind or a personal action plan.
- When should I come back? Get that follow-up on the books, whether your provider wants to check-in after four weeks or a year from now.
The Carbon Health Difference
Looking for a new primary care provider? Carbon Health is a modern, tech-enabled healthcare provider designed from the ground up to put patient care first. Combining smart technology with inviting clinics, we deliver a uniquely seamless experience from virtual care to in-person care — to meet you where you are. Book same-day appointments, chat with your provider before and after your appointment and access your records immediately through the Carbon Health app.
Liked what you read? Learn more by downloading the Carbon Health app or visiting carbonhealth.com.